June 7, 2023

Corwin "Amazing Grace" Hawkins (1965-1994)

    Corwin Hawkins attended St. Peter's Catholic School in Houston, and, after graduation, decided he wanted to be an entertainer. He was fascinated by the drag culture and began competing - and quickly started winning - female impersonator competitions. In 1991, his favorite and most popular character "Amazing Grace" was crowned Miss Gay Texas; the next year he took the title of Texas Entertainer of the Year and went on to capture the 1992 National Entertainer of the Year title in Louisville, Kentucky. He was also awarded an invitational tryout at the L. A. Improv. After appearing on Def Comedy Jam, BET and HBO Comedy specials, he was discovered by Keenan Ivory Wayans and hired for the role of "Wayman" in the film A Low Down Dirty Shame, a part originally written for RuPaul. Sadly, he was unable to capitalize on his new-found fame; he passed away on August 5, 1994 at Baylor Hospital in Dallas of pneumonia. He was 29 years old.


Section 18
Houston Memorial Gardens
Pearland

29° 33.780, -095° 21.116

2 comments:

  1. My sincerest apologies, I wanted to EDIT my comment. (I imagine Corwin laughing at me right now!) My dear Friend comes to mind from time to time, & I say a prayer for him. I have such fond Memories & was so Blessed to know Corwin. I hope more videos of his work will surface on YouTube to keep his Memory & continue his Legacy. I miss You!! Much Love, XO Allyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day !!
    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other purposes? If yes contact us today.
    Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.
    Email: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Text or call: +1-586-331-5557.
    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete