In October 1835 Moreland joined the Texas army. In a letter to Governor Henry Smith dated November 31, 1835, Col. James W. Fannin, Jr., recommended Moreland for a commission in the Texas army. On December 20, 1835, Gen. Sam Houston appointed Moreland a captain of the First Regiment of Infantry in the regular army and ordered him to Harrisburg to establish a recruiting station. His appointment was approved by the General Council on March 10, 1836. At the battle of San Jacinto, Moreland served with the "Twin Sisters" under Lt. Col. George Washington Hockley, although Moreland later wrote to Mirabeau B. Lamar that he had been "the oldest officer in rank of the Artillery for duty, at the Battle of San Jacinto." A man named Haskell, who signed himself as an army surgeon, wrote from the field that "Capt. Moreland commanded a cannon, and the duty was well performed; the first shot carried away the enemies powder box, and wounded the adjutant general and several others."
After San Jacinto, Moreland was assigned to command Fort Travis at Galveston. On July 20, 1836, he was promoted to major, and on October 29, 1836, Sam Houston appointed him commandant of the garrison at Galveston. Moreland was discharged from the army on April 27, 1837, and moved to Houston, where, on May 29, he announced his partnership in the practice of law with David G. Burnet. By 1840 he owned two Houston city lots, a slave, and a gold watch, in addition to 600 acres in Harrisburg County. On January 30, 1840, President Lamar appointed him chief justice of the Second Judicial District, then Harrisburg County, to succeed Benjamin Cromwell Franklin. He held the post until his death, on June 9, 1842.
29° 45.451, -095° 22.733
Founders Memorial Park